Recipe: Grated Summer Squash and Carrot Salad
The heat wave that just took over the country has kept me from running or doing anything outside. I hope all you Lean Girls have managed to stay hydrated. If you are ever light headed during your work outs in the summer (or ever), please stop! Take extra precaution by hydrating with water or sports drinks, wearing cooling clothing and protective hats, and knowing your limit.
While I love living in NYC, one of the cons of city living is not having central air. It’s been way too hot to cook in my kitchen so I’ve found that I’ve been eating out a lot more this summer. Luckily my waist hasn’t suffered, but my wallet sure has so I’ve had to get creative with my meals. If you are like me and are tired of salads and fruit, check out this recipe that I picked up from the Greenmarket at Union Square.
GRATED SUMMER SQUASH AND CARROT SALAD by Jessica Wurwarg
- 2 pounds (approx) of mixed summer squashes, grated
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp of white wine or rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Mix grated squash, carrots and onion together in a large bowl.
- Pour in olive oil, vinegar and soy sauce, and mix to coat.
- Let the mixture marinate in the refrigerator for around 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.